The word ‘Exam’ is always directly linked to the word ‘Stress’ both for children as well as for their parents. The Exam stress not only snatches your children’s peace of mind, but it also worries and stresses your parents at the same time. It is a vicious circle that does not seem to stop. Getting stressed over exams is a common scenario, but did you know that this stress level can take a toll on your mental and physical health in the long run? Moreover, it can disturb your social behavior, self-esteem and also can permanently instill the fear of failure.
So here are few tips you can follow to stay stress-free during exams
- Eat properly and take adequate rest as you may have to stay up all night to do your revision.
- Follow a well-balanced diet filled with fruits, veggies, pulses, dal, and whole grains This will keep you healthy and mentally alert.
- Avoid spicy, oily, processed, and junk food as it may lead to acidity.
- Ensure to take continuous breaks in between your revision.
- Indulge in some form of exercises such as yoga, a walk, stretching exercise, etc.
- Practice meditation and breathing exercises such as pranayama.
- Set realistic goals and frame a realistic schedule. Thrive to improve slowly.
- Do a thorough revision of important portions.
- Do not wait for the last time and start preparing for your exams well in advance.
- Stay away from social media space such as Facebook, Instagram, and other sites before exams.
- Do not transfer your stress to your children.
- Avoid pressurizing your child.
- Avoid comparing your child with another child as it is one of the most damaging acts.
- Help your child set realistic goals and encourage them to improve at every step.
- Even if he or she fails, do not reprimand them, instead motivate them to do better the next time.
- Make sure your child is following a balanced diet and is getting adequate sleep.
- Help your child remain calm before the exams.
- Do not burden your child with the goals you could not achieve during your childhood.
- Focus on your child’s behavior and do not ignore if you detect any kind of unusual behavior from your child.
- Last but not the least, ensure to eat and sleep well as you need all the energy to support your child during his or her exam times.